Monday 3 September 2012

A book and a butterfly.

You can now buy my haiku book, "five seven five", from Amazon in a download or paperback (pamphlet) version.  There are one hundred haiku in the book, on various topics.

If you head over to the Amazon page, you can get a free preview of some of them. If you want to see more of my haiku and micropoetry, and are on twitter, you can find my outpourings at @thehaikugirl.

I haven't been to Holmfirth Writers Group for the past few weeks, due to life, and that, but was back tonight. Sarah, who you may recall is the proprietor of the wonderful blog over at Sarah Writes,  led the session, and we wrote about, well, all sorts of things.  The topic was getting inside someone else's head and seeing things from a different perspective. In particular, we focused upon mental health.

This is my thirty minutes' worth.

Butterfly

This is Kiera. She's three years old. We were at the park, when I took this photograph. Up and down the slide, climbing on the monkey bars, begging me to push her on the swing, again and again.

"No," I said. "No. Mummy's too tired, too big. The baby in Mummy's tummy makes mummy so, so tired. No. No swings."

And though her face, for the briefest of moments, showed disappointment, that was fleeting. It passed, and again she was off on her way, chasing after a butterfly. A red-yellow-black burst of summer.

These are the things that I remember.  The sunshine, the laughter, the way that I said "no". But how was I to know what would come next? Life changes in the flash of an instant, in the flutter of a butterfly's wings.

This is Sophie.  On the fifteenth of September it will be her fourth birthday. I see her now, sitting on the floor, in front of the television, drawing pictures of flowers, faces, spiraling circles again and again.

"Mummy, draw with me?" she asks.

And I am busy, I am working. I have invoices to send, emails to answer, and that important deadline ticking ever close. But I stop.

"Yes," I say. "Yes, Sophie. Of course."

And we sit on the rug, while Peppa Pig jumps up and down in muddy puddles behind us.

"Draw me a dinosaur. Draw me a dog. Draw me the World."

And I do. I do all of this. The clock ticks, the computer switches itself to the screensaver. The family photographs play out on the monitor in a looping cycle. The emails are ignored and the deadline is put off. Because what matters is Sophie.

On her piece of paper, Sophie has drawn us. Mummy, Daddy, Sophie and Kiera. Kiera has wings, like a butterfly.

Like an angel.

And that picture, well, you know, I want to take hold of Sophie and hug her and kiss her and never let go of her. Because life changes in the blink of an eye.  It can go from a girl chasing a butterfly to a girl disappearing. From laughter to tears to sobbing that you feel will never ever stop. To pain that you know will never end.

"Kiera's my angel, Mummy."

"Your big sister," I say, and it hits me.  Sophie is older now than the girl in the photograph. The last picture that I ever took of Kiera. Sophie is the big girl now.

As the years have gone by, I have gauged Sophie's progress against what I knew from Kiera. Sophie spoke sooner, Kiera walked sooner. But now - what? What did I know about being a mother of a four year old?

Only to never, never let her out of my sight.

On the fireplace are photographs. Mummy, Daddy and Kiera together. Smiling, happy, together. Then Sophie, Mummy and Daddy, but never Sophie and Kiera. Never. My two children will never meet.

"Read to me, Mummy," Sophie says, but I am looking at her drawing and I have to bury my face into her soft hair to hide my tears.

6 comments:

  1. (I should have added, this may be the subject of a future book. It is a thought that is growing.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great writing & very visual, thank you for taking part in the workshop :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is heart stopping and painfully beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found you through Sarah! You have captured the pain of a bereaved family so beautifully in this peace, that aching wish to once again hold the child you cannot ... and the pain of seeing a sibling try to process that loss with the limits that childhood thinking has. Your writing pulls the reader right into the scene and I was sitting on that rug too! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the lovely comments x

    ReplyDelete